Saturday, July 21, 2012

Digital Freebie and A Scary Story

Hi everyone.  Long time no post but I'm back.  Disney was fantastic, Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Daisy want me to tell you "Hello."  Our family vacation was amazing.  We walked 150 miles a day, ate a ton of food and the boys made me ride almost ( yes, almost) every roller coaster in 7 parks.  We came home and needed a vacation from our vacation.  I've added a few Disney pics to the ABOUT tab if you're interested.

A Scary Story

About a week after vacation our 18 year old son Ethan complained of pain in his left ear.  Ethan never complains of being sick or painful so if he does, we pay close attention.  He swam quite a bit on vacation and is employed as a lifeguard at a local pool.  He practically lives in water and assumed he had an ear infection.   After a visit to our family doctor, this was confirmed and Doc had Ethan start using Cipro ear drops to clear up the infection.  Other than being a little painful,  all seemed to be going OK for the next 2 days.  He went to work and continued with his routine.  We didn't see him much due to his schedule but by the third night Ethan told me that he had trouble eating his lunch at work that day because his mouth "didn't work right" and complained that he couldn't blink his left eye.   I watched him blink and noticed that his right eye would blink and then his left eye would follow.  I just about came out of my skin.  Fearing a reaction to the medicine, I called the doctor with the symptoms and she told me to bring Ethan to the office first thing in the morning.
The next day at the medical office Ethan talked about his week and laughed about our vacation adventures.  While we waited for the doctor I watched him chatter on about random subjects all the while my heart sinking.   Although his voice and tone were full of smiles, his usual animated facial expressions were muted and he could no longer smile correctly.  The entire left side of his face was drooping and he had no control over any of the muscles.  (Insert red lights flashing and a mother's internal screams here.)
Both doctors in the practice thoroughly examined and questioned Ethan and consulted with a doctor outside the practice.  They determined that Ethan wasn't having a reaction to the medication and the facial paralysis was caused by a condition called Bell's Palsy.  The doctors spent a lot of time going over the diagnosis and  course of treatment with Ethan.  We have the most wonderful and caring doctors.  They told Ethan that because he noticed the symptoms early he should make a complete recovery.   If you've ever been in a situation like this you can understand that I wanted to come completely unglued.  Instead I watched Ethan with his positive demeanor talk with his doctors and it made me smile.  What a great kid we have.   Ethan, through everything remains the same jokester he's always been, could care less about his smile changing and thinks it's cool that he can sleep with one eye open...what a positive outlook he has and for this we are most blessed.  If you or your family are going though a difficult time or a similar situation, hang in there and stay positive.  The Hecker family sends our thoughts and prayers your way.
Enjoy your freebie and
Happy Crafting!
<3 -Kim

Ladybug Hide N Seek flew into the studio this weekend.
Thank you to everyone for sending wonderful e-mails and comments wishing Ethan the best.  We appreciate each and every one <3
Have a marvelous week. 


28 comments:

Kris said...

Im sorry about your son having Bell's palsy. Its a good thing that it was caught so early. This will just be a hiccup for him. Love your flower. Take care Kris

Daizeefli said...

Wow - what a scary story. Amazing how something so simple can turn into something so scary. I know of a guy who had Bell's Palsy and is you would never know it - so I am sure because of your diligence and his attitude.. it will all be ok. Hang in there and keep smiling.. You've got lots of reasons to do so. Thanks so much for the freebie.. Love it! hugs..Patti

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

now THAT is a very scary story. i will be adding you to my prayer list.

hugs :)

Diane said...

Thank you for the cute flower. I hope your son recovers quickly. My older brother had Bell's palsy many years ago and was fine afterwards. Just make sure to go back if the paralysis isn't going away.

Suzanne said...

Wow...what a scare!! So glad that it is something treatable. Thanks for sharing the digi and your story.

Anne-Marie said...

Lovely flower....so useful...thank you!
I'll add my two-penniesworth to what has already been said....a good friend of mine developed Bell's when she was 22....had the "frozen" face for 4 months, followed all the treatment plans and it was completely gone by month 9....that was 15 years ago, and it's never come back....so, hang in there!

Suze said...

THank you for the lovely digi. Hope your son makes a full recovery. Hugs, Suze

Kathleen said...

Glad it was caught early and thank you for the free flower.

NanaConnie said...

Saying tons of prayers, both for recovery and of grateful thanks for the early detection. Blessings on all.

Sue said...

sending my good thoughts and prayers for a full and speedy recovery. Thank you for the flower.

Moments by Marla said...

How totally brave your son is and what a great mom keeping back your true horror of worrying for him. I had a friend with diagnosis in high school and she recovered totally in a short while. My prayers are with your son and family. Thank you for the pretty flower.

Silverbutterfly said...

Thanks a lot for your cute freebie flower.. as many others said you all are in our prayers..

Silverbutterfly

Flip-Flop Creations said...

So glad Ethan is doing a bit better Kim. That's a good sign!!!
Love your flower, thanks for sharing it with us. ~jeni :)

Sue said...

Hope Ethan is on the mend and thank you so much for the flower

CBH said...

Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies (please, notice the new url for my blog), under the Page 11 post on Jul. 25, 2012. Thanks again.

Cindy - John 3:16 said...

WOW...so sorry to hear about Ethan being sick, but OVERJOYED to hear that he will be okay. I know how upsetting it can be when your children are sick.
Awesome flower - TY so much! :)

scrapclose2theheart said...

Prayers being said for your son. That is scary but nothing is bigger than our God & His power to heal. So glad that you caught it so soon. Hugs.

kim.scrapper said...

I will definately keepy your family in my thoughts and prayers. My best friend of over 36 years also had Bells Palsy when she was younger and made a complete recovery from it also, best of luck

Favorite Favors said...

what a truly scary ordeal indeed! I will keep you, Ethan and the emily in my prayers!

Favorite Favors said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trish and Treasure said...

Sending get well wishes from Australia for Ethan, I'm glad he is in high spirits!!
Hugs Trish Munro

christopher said...

Hello Kim , nice to 'meet' you.
I am so sorry you had a such afright over your son,getting bells palsy.
I do hope he is on the way to complete recovery.
My father had it many years ago, he thought he had ,had a stroke in the night.But was soon diagnosed as having the Bells palsy.He made a full recovery.I hope this helps you think positively.will pray for you both.hugs Rosemarie x

Megan said...

Hello Kim, I'm not grabbing your freebie this time but I wanted to send well wishes your way. I think its amazing how people w/ 1 similar hobby can all meet and come together for someone. Im sorry to hear about your son but glad to hear that it was caught early and he can make a full recovery. I have not been in a situation like this and I hope I don't have to, but I will keep you and your son in my thoughts this week. God Bless

snehal watwe welde said...

OMG...Thats a really scary story.I wish Ethan and your family best of luck and hope that he recovers fast.You will be in my prayers.Thanks for the beautiful flower

G-ma said...

this is scary but you was quick about getting him to good drs. My DIL had Bell Palsy on left side of her face and you wouldn't know it now. And you son being the way he is, is b/c of the way his parents raised him to be caring, loving, and God is blessing you with him. Thank you for the free flower.

Linda said...

Good things happen to good people and I am so glad this is the case with Ethan. Thank you God! I am as happy as this lady bug flower! Go Ethan!

txexperiment said...

Thanks for this great flower image!

Thanks also for alerting others to Bell's Palsy. My brother, (he's now 53) had this when he was younger. My mother had also known someone who had it earlier and so she took him to the doc right away and he made a complete recovery. It's so good that you caught is early!

All of God's blessings to you and your family!

JoanieMc said...

I hope and pray that all of Ethan's problems will disappear. Great that he does have a wonderful sense of humor. Attitude and a positive outlook is some of the best medicine. Your family is in my prayers.

Take are and God Bless.
Hugs,
Joanie