Sunday, July 29, 2012

Dusting off the Prismas

Yesterday me, Jeni from Flip Flop Creations and Linda from Turtle in the Sand had our long awaited, much deserved girls day out.  Now where in the world do you think three crafty chics running wild choose to go?  You got it,  Hobby Lobby!  What an awesome day.  While perusing the isles I found a package of tiny Jewelry shop bottles and Immediately had a vision of my next card.  I also picked up three new Prisma pencils to add to my growing collection.  Three hours later we were almost done searching every isle when Jeni got a text from Cheryl over at Sassy Cheryl's.  She suggested to grab a pad of Bristol recycled paper for Prisma coloring.  Of course we'd be fools not to try something Cheryl suggests so I grabbed a stack too.  We finished at Hobby Lobby, stopped for lunch and duh, hit the Starbucks drive-thru.  As the chauffeur, I go to order Jeni, get this, a Grande Low fat Decaf Caramel Macchiato.  Say that five times fast...Linda and Jen went into hysterics after two attempts at repeating the order and banging my head on the steering wheel.   I finally did manage to get it right and Jeni enjoyed her beverage.  Our girls day out was awesome.  I am so blessed to have two of the most fun, comical and caring friends that anyone could ask for.  I'm a lucky gal.  Thanks Linda and Jeni for getting me out of the house and getting me motivated <3

This card is the second Harry Potter card I've created using Bugaboo's version of my favorite book and movie characters.  You can check out my first card here.  I just love Jodi's digis and couldn't wait to get this card started so I hopped over to Bugaboo's Stella Says Sketch Challenge #116 to see what sketch I needed to follow and it sure is a cool one.  Jodi is also having a Christmas in July sale but you better hurry because it ends soon.
Follow me as take you through this project.  I will say that learning to use a new coloring technique was a bit frustrating for me.  A few hours and a couple of tantrums later I finally got the results I was after, decided not to throw my Prismas out but instead have grown to love them.
Happy Crafting!
<3 -Kim  


This image immediately came to mind when I saw little potion bottles at Hobby Lobby.  I committed myself to using Prismas only, something I've never done.  It was difficult not to chuck the whole idea and grab my Copics.  Some blending stumps and odorless Turpenoid and Cheryl's Recycle Bristol paper stack and I'm underway...



What to put in Snape's potion bottles???  Glitter just didn't seem right to me so I broke out my stash of flocking powder and for me it was perfect.  I used tweezers to fill each bottle.  I also glued the cork stopper to avoid future disaster :)


I used spellbinders to die cut my tags.
Everyone knows that Snape can teach us how to "Bottle Fame and Brew Glory."


Completed project.  I have found a new love for my Prismas.
I hope it inspires you to try something new.

Card Recipe:
Digital Stamp:  Bugaboo's Har Repotter Sneaky One
Papers:  DCWV Once Upon a Time Stack, Recollections Black Card stock, Bristol Recycled 96lb
Tools/Embellishments:  Prismas! Turpenoid Odorless thinner, Spellbinders Labels Eighteen, Jewelry Shop Glass Bottles


11 comments:

Flip-Flop Creations said...

Hey, don't pick on my favorite drink! Lol What a great time, can't wait to do it again.
Loooooove Snape and his purple hazy aura!! Your coloring looks amazing! Those bottles are just the perfect accent. (but I can't believe you tweezed in all that flocking powder. Wait...yes I can) ~jeni :)

Charlene Mitchell said...

Fantastic card Kim! And your day with the girls sounds amazing! Love those prismas!

Jackie Scott said...

Fabulous card - love how you used those glass bottles. Great blog! Just joined to follow.

Linda said...

Oh thank you dear dear friend for cropping my fat arms, tummy and lower half. I'll love you forever for that one! We did have a fab days filled with bargains, laughs, more laughs and some very special memories.

Your traumatic effort with the Prismas was well worth it. Snape has never looked better. Perfect idea of filling the bottles with the flocking powder and the colors look fabulous.

Looking so forward to our next girls day out!

Fluffles said...

This is so GOOD! What a fantastic HP card I love the image, your great colouring & how you've finished off the card with the glass bottles - brilliant! Jx

Cheryl First said...

Fantastic! Very clever card! I love this!
Thanks so much for joining the Stella Says Sketch Challenge this week over at Catch the Bug! Hope to see you again!

((HUGS))
Cheryl First
aka Cafexpressions
DT Member for Bugaboo Stamp

deesdesigns said...

So clever, love how you used the flocking - stunning card!

sammi said...

Awesome card! Love the addition of the little vials! Thank your for sharing your creation with us in our “Stella Says Sketch” challenge at Catch The Bug! We're so happy you played along! ~~Sammibug~~ DT Member For Bugaboo Stamps

Jen Leeflang said...

FABULOUS card, especially the embellies!! Thanks so much for joining us on Bugaboo's "Stella Says Sketch" Challenge at the Catch the Bug blog. I wish you good luck and hope to see you enter the next challenge too!
luv'n huggz
Jen Leeflang
Bugaboo DT

Tanya said...

Fab card, love the Harry Potter digis too, I've used these a few times myself :D

I'm following your blog now, I remember aaages ago seeing your first Harry Potter card and absolutely loving it!

Tags xx

Lola said...

Your coloring, layout, colors and embellishments are fantastic! Gorgeous card.