Friday, March 29, 2013

Art is Messy!

Oh, Blessed Friday!  I'm ready for the weekend how about you?  I took a break from my sketchbook in order to dig in and finish my sisters' birthday card.  My sweet sister and I just adore Sassy Cheryl's digis so of course I had to visit Cheryl's Sassy new store (which by the way, is fabulous) and pick out the perfect image.   Cheryl's images have a way of making me feel like a kid again.  I have the best time coloring them but choosing one is quite a process for me.  After ten store visits and three days, I made a decision.   I didn't pick one, I grabbed two (what can I say, they're like potato chips.)  Once I saw these two images, inspiration hit me like a V-8 and I dove right in.  I set the phone up, streamed Pandora with my whimsical music, grabbed the Copics and had a blast!  After I finished adhering the last detail, I leaned back to admire/critique my work and was distracted by something in my peripheral vision.  I looked up and shook my head.  My ever tidy, always neat as a pin studio looked like an embellishment tornado rolled across the desktop and caused a paper bomb to explode.  I giggled like a kid and thought "Art is messy."
Happy Birthday to my wonderful sister.  Check your mailbox.  Happy Mail is on the way<3
Hugs and happy crafting! -Kim
I started by creating a card base.  I cut two card bases (5 1/2 X 5  1/2)
They were adhered together to make a tri-fold.
I added tabs to the front flap and the inside flap.  Before I added my tabs, I measured and trimmed the front and inside flaps to accommodate the tabs.  This allows the card to fold properly.
If I use an image on my cards want to make the image the focal point.  Brown and black are two colors that allow this to happen.  Black makes a nice frame and brown is versatile and mute.
I lined and embellished each panel as desired.
I colored these images to represent me and my sister and I created this card to have a scrapbook/photo album feel.
and just to add a bit more mess to my workspace, I distressed the edges too.
I hope I've inspired you.  Now go "make a mess." Have a great weekend!
Card Recipe:
Digital Images:  Cheryl Algers'  "Pondering Thoughts" and "Just Hanging Around"
Papers:  Recollections Card Stock, Southworth Linen for images
Embellishments/Tools:  K&Co. Cut outs, Cuttle bug, Spellbinders, Tim Holtz paper distressing tool, Tim Holtz Filmstrip Sizzix Die, EK punch, Hemp twine, Copics
 
Challenges:

11 comments:

Linda Compton said...

Oh My Gosh this is so cute. I love the trifold card. So unique and everything you have done looks perfect on the Kraft paper too. So very very very happy to have you back on Sassy Cheryls challenges again. I have missed you.

Linda Compton said...

I forgot to tell you how much I loved Sally's dirty little feet. You just think of everything. Your sister will love it. Especially when she reads the part about your whimsical music. Did you sing along? did anyone howl? Muwah!

Sassy Raggedy said...

Kim, this is fabulous. I love the images and wow the fold is awesome. joann sassy raggedy

Sonia said...

Amazing card my dear^_^
Have a beautiful Easter^_^
Sonia

Penny said...

Fantastic design, Kim! Love it and your sweet images, paper combo, cute pockets, and wonderful coloring of those adorable images! Your sister should love this, too! :^)
Hugs, Penny

Charlene Mitchell said...

This is such a gorgeous card Kim! Absolutely love the black and brown combo . . . will be using that one more I think! Love Cheryl's designs and you have created a gorgeous card with these 2 beautiful images! I'm sure your sister will love it!

jkreucher said...

OH MY GOODNESS! this is pure heaven. what an amazing work of art! your attention to detail is wonderful and of course the coloring on Cheryl's little darlings has brought them to life!
Thanks for playing along in our Sassy Cheryl challenge this week!

Cynthia said...

This is absolutely fantastic, Kim! Love the tri-fold card design. The two Sassy Sally images are perfect merged! Hope you don't mind a CASE of that idea. :0

Sassy Cheryl said...

Totally LOL on the comment. 'Like potato chips'! And we all need to feel like a kid, so I'm glad that I am able to help!
This is a stunning card. Such amazing creativity and a lot of thought went into it. It's just beautiful!
Thanks for playing along with the Sassy Cheryl DT this week.

Dawn said...

eeek! this totally awesome!!
thanks for playing our Sassy Cheryl's challenge!

Ann English said...

Wow, wow, WOW!!! I LOVE this-it's over the top incredible! Thank you for joining us this week for the Sassy Cheryl's challenge!